Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Jennifer, where are you tonight?

I'm like Muriel in this sense - You know, she's the one in that movie "Muriel's Wedding" where she was put down by the girls around her for being stuck in the 70s and listening to nothing but ABBA while they listened to The Baby Animals and Nirvana.

I've been listening to the Eurythmic's second album "Sweet Dreams."
This is one of those albums you can listen to all the way through and enjoy every song. When you have that much talent, you can make it work with anything you got around you. This album was recorded using no more than an 8 track recorder, drum machine, some synths and guitars. As the saying goes "less is more." Annie and Dave make a perfect team as like Vince and Alison of Yazoo.

1983 was all about image, music videos as well as the music istelf and gender bending was the name of the game. Annie had short cropped orange hair and wore men's suits. It was a nice contrast to Boy George, Marilyn and Pete Burns.




During the 1984 Grammy Awards, the Euryhmics gave an excellent performence of "Sweet Dreams." Annie looked rather like a young Elivs compelete with sideburns!




It's hard to pick a favorite from this album, but I will have to say that "Wrap it Up" is among my all time favorites. Annie sang this with Scritti Politti's Green Gartside.

Here's a version of the song and video. It's not the same as the one on the ablum, but still excellent and check out Annie's moves!

3 comments:

Yuяi said...

Hi V, hope you had a great holiday.

Sweet Dreams is one of my fave Eurythmics albums. While I love "Love is a Stranger" probably best of all, "This is the House" and "Wrap it Up" are my other top 2 songs. I had no idea hat Green sang along with Annie on "Wrap".. how cool is that? I'm going to dust that off the ipod and take another listen now that I know that.

I'm looking forward to reading more of your thoughts and musings in 2009. Happy New Year!

V said...

Hey Yuri, I hope the same to you.

Those are all good songs and not to mention "I Could Give You (A Mirror)" which is also right up there with the rest of them.

Happy 2009!

xolondon said...

Jennifer is actually the one I love!