Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Goldfrapp at Beacon Theater 4/29/2008

Last night I went to see Goldfrapp at the Beacon Theater.

Sometime ago I did go to Beacon to see Margaret Cho perform. Before that it was over 20 years ago. So this was the first musical concert I've been to since then. A flood of memories as I tried to locate where I was and how excited the whole experience was. Now, a concert veteran of sorts, it was business as usual. Another show. That same feeling of anticipated excitement no longer in me. I doubt I ever will get it back. All shows that I've gone to since has been built upon that first night. It was a bit emotional really. So onto Goldfrapp. In short, I thought it was a fantastic performance. Alison is top notch. Her voice is beautiful and she is beautiful. And she loves to wear one-piece numbers. This time around, a peach colored once peace with winged sleeves and pom-poms. She would extend her arms into the air as she let out a siren call and she seemed to be communicating with heaven. The lights would respond and imagery was perfect. The show began very mellow starting with a Seventh Tree number (which one was it? I have not learned all the names of the songs... shame on me). But I recognized those which I loved from her new album. True, Seventh Tree was a departure from Supernature, but the mix between those three albums together with Black Cherry worked very well on the set. The first three (or four) numbers were very pleasant and mellow indeed. The audience kept to their seats. Until Satin Chic and some got up to dance. I think it was after Satin Chic when she began singing Number 1. that people remembered they were at a concert and all stood up to move with the music. Strict Machine really got the crowd clapping along. Strict Machine live has a great build-up to the first verse. Just lovely.

The background was panels of what seemed like basket weave. There was video imaging in the background - usually psychedelic images with lots of colors, squiggles and shapes weaving in and out. Kaleidoscopes and candy. Ooh-la-la was done in some kind of "yahoo" fashion and it still worked. My favorites from the new album are A&E, Little Bird , Some People and Happiness. Happiness being the stand-out track when I first heard the album and that's the song she ended the show with during the encore. We didn't hear Koko or Ride a White Horse which I was longing to see them perform.

I was very pleased with the show and I really enjoyed it. After four albums, Goldfrapp is still not a tour- every -state in the U.S. kinda band. So I feel bad about people not getting the chance to see their shows in other states. Maybe they'll return with more dates. They did come back twice to New York during the Supernature days so maybe I'll catch it again if they return.

Oh, and I think this was the first band that incorporated harp playing as part of the set.

Here's a link to some pictures from this performance at some site. Don't miss Goldfrapp if you're a fan and they're playing near you. You'll love it.

1 comment:

Yuяi said...

V! Great review. I'd love to see Alison and Will's set, but alas, they aren't coming anywhere near me. Such is the story of my life. I'm glad you went and had a great time. Rock on! :)