Monday, May 07, 2007

Reflections on Werther

"There is the story of an Englishman who hanged himself because he didn't want to dress and undress himself any more. I knew a gardener, a stalwart fellow in charge of a big park, who in his bleakness cried out one day, "Am I to spend my whole life watching the rain clouds move from eve to morn?" And then I have heard tell of one of our best men that he hates to see the greening of springtime and wishes that, for a change, everything would come up red! All these are symptoms of a weakness of life that quite often culminates in suicide and is more prevalent among thoughtful introverts than one would care to believe."


From "Reflections On Werther" by Goethe

Good thing you're not a thoughtful introvert. Ey?

1 comment:

steve said...

I think I actually might be, but I do everything I can to get outside. :)