Sunday, April 20, 2008

Some are a melody and some are the beat

I think my iPod may be dying. I've had it for about 4 years now. I'm surprised it's lasted as long as this. Who knows, maybe it's just a little thing that the Apple people can fix. But I do want one of the newer ones. But right now, I can't think about buying a new gadget. But I do need my music for my commutes to and back from work.

The last show I went to was Moz's show back in October. So it will be 6 months until I go see Goldfrapp at the Beacon Theater. Should be nice. Then I've got The Cure lined up at MSG. I should have given up this ticket when they called it off the first time around. Because then they started selling for a night at Radio City Music Hall. That would be a better place to see them. That's where I saw The Cure for the first time in 86. Over 20 years ago.

It's a little weird going to see bands that I've seen so long ago for the first time and they're still going at it. When I was just 18, these guys were people I looked up to and thought they were so ahead of me in years. But now, I just realize that they're only a few years older than me.

Hmm... I feel a list coming along. Eh, for whatever reason and as reference to me in the future should this still be around.

I present, V's concert history (as close as he can remember it) covering the early years.

1985

Depeche Mode (Beacon Theatre)
Oingo Boingo (At The Ritz now Webster Hall)
The Damned (At the Ritz)

1986

The Cure (Radio City)
Simple Minds (Radio City)
Siouxsie & The Banshees (Radio City)
The Cure (At The Pier)
Depeche Mode (Radio City played for 3 nights went to 2)
Book of Love (The Ritz)
Erasure (The Ritz 1st U.S. show)
The Communards (The Ritz)
Book of Love (again The Ritz)
Book of Love (Somewhere in Long Island)

1987

Erasure (The Ritz twice)
At this time I was supposed to go see New Order with Gene Loves Jezebel and Echo & The Bunnymen (all in the same show) but I never made it. I was in bad terms with the people going and had to prepare my move back to Phoenix.

1988

Depche Mode (Compton Terrace before 101)
Echo & The Bunnymen (Mesa Amphitheater)
Depeche Mode (Compton Terrace during 101)
Book of Love (After the Gold Rush)

1989

Laurie Anderson (can't remember the venue)

1990

Debbie Harry (After The Gold Rush)
Book of Love (After The Gold Rush)
Depeche Mode (Somewhere in Atlanta)
Depeche Mode (A stadium in Phoenix)


1991

Front 242 (Club Rio)
Frontline Assembly (Silver Dollar Club)

1992

Morrissey (Compton Terrace) Can't remember if this was 91 or 92

Anyway, that's as far as I go. Let me assure you that the rest is mostly the same as above with the exception of:

Belly (in the 90s)
The Ramones (early to mid 90s?)
Kraftwerk (late 90s and as recently as 3 or 4 years ago)
The Psychedelic Furs (late 90s)
Marc Almond (late 90s)
Blondie (late 90s No Exit tour)
Delirium / Conjure 1 (early 2000s)
Diamanda Galas (early 200s)
Soft Cell (early 2000s)
Madonna (A couple of years ago )
Nitzer Ebb (A couple of years ago)
Pet Shop Boys (A couple of years ago)
Goldfrapp (A couple of years ago)

I could go to more shows today but I'm not as enthusiastic lately. Missed Skinny Puppy not too long ago and I recently missed out on Siouxsie last October and also Debbie Harry. I may even miss out on Yaz!! But I'm going to try and make it, if I can find a ticket when I'm ready to buy one. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm really tired of going to all these shows alone. Meant nothing before, but as the years have gone on, it has some sort of significance.



8 comments:

Yuяi said...

Hi V. Man, you've been to see a boatload o'shows over the last 20 yrs or so! Very impressive. Yaz(oo) I would not miss if humanly possible. I feel ya though, going solo to a show is not so cool for me either. Hopefully you'll get your mojo back soon. Hang in there buddy. :)

V said...

Hey Yuri,

Yeah, it's OK for the most part (going alone). Looking forward to Goldfrapp again and as for Yaz(oo)- Tickets are well over $65 and it's general admission!

Also, there Ladytron coming which I'd love to see and just saw the Boy George is doing a show where he will sing the classic Club songs. I'd like to see that

xolondon said...

I would not have guessed you'd have been at a Belly show! Feed the tree, baby...

steve said...

Cool list V! I'll be seeing the Cure soon as well--hope it's good. I've been thinking of doing a Flickr section where i upload all my concert stubs and show flyers, in chronological order. just never enough time in the day. Anyhow, hope you have fun at the show!

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Your list is just staggering! Wow! I am envious!

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I like the way you chose that bit of lyric from Alphaville and put it as a title. It's apt.

Speaking of which, how do you like the new Madge album 'Hard Candy'?

V said...

Thanks Chuang, I have not yet listened to the new Madge yet. How do you like it? I've only heard a few bits and pieces.

kilgorsky said...

I save all my tickets. I can give exact dates, locations and list all the support acts of every major concert I've been to see.

Btw, The Ritz seems to be the place. I've found a few grat clips on youtube from there. For exaple an ancient Slayer concert that totally rocked.